Postage Costs

*Australian orders are shipped at a flat-rate of $15 Australia-wide and $10 to Adelaide.

All orders come with tracking. You will be issued with a tracking number by email once your order has been dispatched.

Orders made before 4.30pm E.S.T. will be dispatched next day. Contact us if your order needs to be dispatched same day or by express post.

See postage delivery times below to work out how long your order will take to get to you.

If Express Post is necessary contact us by message form here, email at, landline (08) 8120 0498 or on mobile 0431 88 4278 to arrange urgent delivery so that your order arrives in time for your party.

**For larger orders sent to more remote locations we may require additional payment to cover postage costs.  Customers will be immediately notified if this is the case.

If you live in South Australia and would like to pick up your purchase from our Aldinga Beach premises type the word "SAYAY" into the promotional code section and you will not pay for postage. If you are using another promotional code to receive a discount contact us to confirm a pick up time and a refund for postage.


Express Post
Contact us here or by phone on (08) 8120 0498 or 0431 88 4278 if you would like to arrange express postage.


Postage Delivery Times

Due to COVID19 restrictions all delivery times may be delayed. We cannot 100% guarantee the estimated delivery times below. Please allow for a few extra days delivery.

Shipping details during normal conditions are as follows:

We are based in Adelaide and use a combination of Australia Post (20% of postage) and carbon neutral Sendle Couriers (remaining 80%) so orders take these ESTIMATED delivery times (business days). They are not GUARANTEED delivery times as there may be unexpected delays within our postal system. We do offer EXPRESS POST and will contact you if there is reason to believe your order will not arrive in time for your party/event. See below for more information: 
Sydney - 2 to 3 days 
Melbourne - 1 to 2 days 
Adelaide - 1 to 2 days 
Brisbane - 3 to 4 days 
Perth - 5 to 7 days 
Canberra - 2 to 4 days 
Hobart - 3 to 5 days 
Darwin - 4 to 6 days 
Rural New South Wales - 4 to 6 days 
Rural Victoria - 2 to 5 days 
Rural South Australia - 2 to 4 days 
Rural Queensland - contact us to get a better idea based on your exact location. 
Rural Western Australia - contact us to get a better idea based on your exact location. 
Rural Queensland - contact us to get a better idea based on your exact location.

Australia Post is a member of the Green Fleet Project ( a not-for-profit organisation that plants trees on behalf of companies to offset their vehicle emissions.

If you have any concerns about delivery times you can contact us here, email us at or call us on (08) 8120 0498 or 0431 88 4278 to find out more.


International Orders:
Contact us through our contact form here if you are an overseas (non-Australian) customer wishing to purchase some of our products so that we may quote you the correct price and shipping fee for the products you wish to order. The postage costs listed on this site are for Australian orders only.


As a golden rule when our orders require a larger box than our custom-made 100% recycled content party boxes we only ever use pre-used recyclable boxes and bags sourced locally. Occasionally we may use the non-bubble-wrap-lined Australia Post expandable tough bag (made from thick paper) - as placing a bag around a standard box makes sure it is measured on physical weight and not cubic weight - thus bringing the price down because party supplies are generally quite light.

When using Fastway Couriers' satchels we ensure they are the recyclable bags with a recycle rating of LDPE 4.


Please ensure your mailing address is correct on your Paypal account if paying through Paypal.

*Customers assume full responsibility for providing Eco Party Box with the correct mailing address. Should an order be incorrectly addressed and thus returned to Eco Party Box by Australia Post the customer will have the opportunity to be refunded (minus the actual postage cost) or have their order sent again.

The new postage fee will be the actual postage cost as quoted by Australia Post, rather than the standard flat-rate postage fee we apply to all orders.